How to Save Money at the State Fair of Texas
We wanted to share some Cost Savings Tips at the beginning of the Fair to help you and your family plan your visit this year!
Let's start with standard pricing for admission to the State Fair. You can purchase tickets in person, or at the Big Tex Website
Standard Admission prices
- Weekends see a general admission of $25, while weekdays are cheaper at $15.
- For kids aged 3 to 12, it's $18 on weekends and $10 on weekdays.
- Kids two and under are always free
- Seniors (60 and older) pay $18 on weekends and $10 on weekdays.
- Exception on Thursdays where 60+ folks can get in for only $5.
- Buy State Fair Tickets Online using discount codes.
Now onto the point of the article: How you can save money at the state fair!
Take advantage of admission price deals:
- On Wednesdays if you provide 5 canned good items admission price is just $5.
- Every Thursday anyone 60+ years of age gets admission for $5.
- Become a Big Tex Insider: Dr Pepper Value Days on Tuesdays and Thursdays let you in at $10. Code 23BIGTEXTEN
- After 5PM General admission pricing will be the same as child prices.
- McDonald's Discount of $5 off admission price weekdays, $7 off on weekends.
- Active/Retired Military and First responders also get price of admission discounts of $5 off admission price weekdays, $7 off on weekends!
Entertainment included with price of admission:
- Music is Free! No additional tickets/cost to enjoy any of the live music…and there’s a ton of options!
- Don't miss the Rodeo — it's a part of your admission!
- Some of our favorites:
- Oncor Petting Zoo (now in the Pan Am Arena)
- All-Star Stunt Dog Show at the Marine Corps Square
- Texas Auto Show(Automobile Building, Centennial Building, and Truck Zone)
- And lots of other fun things for the family, check out the schedule links below:
Saving Money inside the Fair:
- Every Thursday there are food discounts. Use Thrifty Thursdays Map or spot the signs to identify participating vendors. (Sometimes it’s a smaller serving)
- You can bring a cooler: Fill it with water, sodas, and snacks. Just ensure no glass or alcohol.
- Free ice cream sandwiches at the Go Texan Pavilion. (Also known as food and fiber pavilion). There are also Vendors inside the building that will be handing out samples!
- Tuesdays have 4 coupon midway rides (or 3 for the little ones).
- 2 ticket milk, chocolate or strawberry milk and orange juice in the center of the Food Court at Oak Farms Dairy
- Oak Farms Dairy also has a stop right inside the entrance on the Grand Ave side where you can get your kiddos a free sling backpack to carry their own junk in, instead of having to carry it for them! 😅
For the Grownups
- The Beer Barn near Cotton Bowl Plaza for a 4 ticket Lone Star. (Front steps of the cotton bowl)
- Bailey's in the food court offers 4, 5 and 6 ticket beer options, and the lines aren’t as long as the outdoor beer barn.
- In the Go Texan Food & Fiber Pavilion our friends from Island Getaway Rum are spending all 24 days of the Fair giving out samples of their delicious rum punch drink Cheeky tiki!
- PLEASE drink responsibly! Have a designated driver, use Uber/Lyft, or DART rail!